Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone read this? Thoughts? I understand some of the principles, but also wonder how seriously I need to take this. Like, am I really doing wrong by giving him several colors of crayons? Do I need to toss the paint-with-water books my sister gave him for Christmas?

Jack loves the art projects at daycare, which are mostly free-form, but they occasionally do the holiday-themed ones too. And I have also drawn with him (suns, cats -- which he enjoys and always signs for me to draw them), though I encourage his scribbling too.

He's 18 mo, btw.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I havent heard about or read these books so I am not sure what you are reffering to, but thought I'd chime in with what my 18th mo. is doing with art stuff. He started becoming very interested in scribbling a few months ago so we just got him an ikea ($20) easel which he loves, its great because it has a chalkboard on one side, and a dry erase board on the other- we havent used the markers yet, but a roll of paper fits over it, where he likes to draw with crayons and chalk and colored pencils. We have it set up in our living room along with other toys and musical instruments, and every so often, ds will go over to his easel and make a few lines with whatever color he chooses, whenever the urge strikes him. He seems to favor certain colors over others, its very interesting....

I am an artist so I enjoy drawing and painting myself, but have held back with "intructing" him on how to do it or what to draw (other than drawing simple lines or coloring in small spots to show him how the crayon works). I guess I just feel like it might be too intimidationg to show him something he can't comprehend how to do yet, I don't know how to explain it. He knows how to express himself naturally. I just try and give him the space and encouragemnt to explore and be creative. But occasionly I draw some abstract doodle type sketches with him. I haev my own sketchebook so I show him my drawings when he shows interest in them, or let him thumb through the pages....he also seems to like my Joan Miro book of prints...
I brought out paints to try and get him to decorate some ornanments and he enjoyed the paints until he got it on his hands, and when he gets gooey stuff on his hands he rubs his face and eyes with them for some strange reason
and then gets upset when I try and clean his hands/face... so painting is on hold for a little while! And I tried fingerpaints but he didnt like that- I think it was the tactile feeling of goo he didnt like (gets that from his papa! :LOL )
what are other toddlers around that age up to with art making?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sntm
Anyone read this? Thoughts? I understand some of the principles, but also wonder how seriously I need to take this. Like, am I really doing wrong by giving him several colors of crayons? Do I need to toss the paint-with-water books my sister gave him for Christmas?
I love the book, but do take it with a grain of salt. DD simply wasn't interested in progressing one colour at a time... for her the colours ARE the point. There are some great suggestions for materials and media, not to mention associated reading. We do as a rule avoid colouring books and the like, in favour of open ended projects. However, if there's a special kid's placemat at a restaurant with pictures to colour, we don't confiscate it.

DD is just 3 now and has been doing mandalas on her own for a few months now. We're going to start Mona Brook's Drawing With Children soon. Not sure how Susan Striker would feel about us starting so early, but IMHO, DD is ready for it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I read a little of the book so far, seems pretty interesting...
I agree with the pp- (like most books and advice with parenting)- take with a grain of salt

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Bump!

I have been thinking about this a lot. I haven't read the book. I am currently looking at "Scribble Art" and will get "Preschool Art" by MaryAnn Kohl. I really like these books. Her focus is that the focus of art should be the process rather than the product.

These books don't address much theory though. I was wondering what the woman the OP refered to thinks about this:

I have been feeling really sensitive about this and can't figure out a way to resolve the issue. Most DH (but myself on occassion in the past) with draw for DS. He loves it and will happily watch for 30-45 min the work, making requests. When asked if DS would like to draw, he says no and acts anxious. It seems that he feels like he has to draw to our level (which isn't saying much when you look at MY level :LOL ). I have really reduced my drawing to him for the past couple of months and tryin gto get him to be more independent, in a relaxed sort of way. In certain areas he will, and he does have some skills. He does lots of circles and will draw glasses and hair on faces and will approximate a car with wheels. Pretty good for a 21 mos old.
He has lots of drawing opportunities and when he is in the mood he will. Sometimes he simply wants the entertainment of watching "dada do it"
Can someone explain what the author suggests about this.
Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Should I just relax?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The author is pretty definite in her opinions. :LOL

She discourages any adult drawing for/with the child for that reason -- it makes them think they need to draw purposefully when the process is what is important. She believes that realism in art is not appropriate for young children and that they should still be "scribbling" at 3 years old.

She also discourages any comments by adults that imply a value judgment on the art -- like that it is "pretty" or whatever, or that assign a label to it, like "that looks like a tree."

She discourages any pre-printed coloring books or holiday-themed art. She says you should never interfere with the artistic process, discouraging even putting the child's name on it (though one of her pictures of her son's painting on a ceramic paint has his name and the date on it.)

I'm not very artistic, especially when it comes to painting/drawing, and want to encourage my son to be more artistic, so I guess I just wanted opinions of artistic moms and dads on the validity of her theories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.