Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend places to go with a 3 yr old for a good hike? I really want to get my children (the youngest is 3) back into walking. After being housebound over the winter I want to get them used to walking again, and I miss it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cherokee, Shawnee, and Iroquois Parks are great; Falls of the Ohio is really neat, except the river is really high right now; Berheim is amazing and there are consercation programs for little ones; Otter Creek is so beautiful. Head to Carmichael's Bookstore and pick up Family Fun in Kentucky. Lots of great info in there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can't believe I forgot to mention our particular favorite - E.P. "Tom" Sawyer! It's mostly flat, with some little rises and falls. Ds loves it. There are a lot of nooks and crannies to explore, including an old resevoir, which requires caution and common sense, of course.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
We used to live close to the Zoo and the Nature Center. We loved the trails at the Nature Center. I was always amazed at that little patch of woods right in the middle of an urban setting.<br><br>
Now we live close to Bernheim Forest, so that's our favorite hiking place. My kids are young (5 and 2), so short hikes are good. There is a half mile loop at Bernheim that is just right! I think it's called the Mile High Loop. My kids also like the walking path around Lake Nevin. There is a playground close to the lake. We usually start off at the playground, then drive to the trailhead for our hike. Bernheim has a great Visitor's Center with maps and information.<br><br>
Bernheim is free during the week, and $5 per car on the weekend. bernheim.org

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the suggestions!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts