Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story seems to be going viral. I am seeing it pop up all over my facebook feed and thought I would share. It's a sad reminder that getting the vaccine during pregnancy is the best way to protect a baby those first couple of months and that all the healthy food and exercise in the world won't prevent diseases like pertussis.

“I was a healthy pregnant woman, worked out, went to gym, ate very healthy, had a natural birth and somehow in the last two weeks of my pregnancy I managed to get whooping cough, I didn’t know,” she said.

After the birth she went to the doctor about a persistent cough and found out she had whooping cough, that had been passed onto her baby daughter Eva.

“Eva was diagnosed with whooping cough and it is a nightmare,” she said.

“She was a bit coughy, but within two weeks the cough became very scary, a horror movie, turning blue, going floppy in my hands, running to hospital,” she said.

“She ended up in intensive care with a baby that just coughs and coughs and coughs and it’s so hard to watch your tiny little thing they go red, they go blue and sometimes they go black and then for a moment you think they are dead in your hands, they flop. A lot of suffering for a tiny little thing you love so much.

“I was offered the injection in week 28, being the healthy, fit organic woman that I am I said “leave me alone”, I said “I don’t need this crap”.

“I got over it very quick, it was not it was nothing for me, but she is into week four and every hour I have to stay here watch her going blue, watch her go blue, watch her cry, and give her oxygen. She is my only child and if I could turn back time I would have protected myself, so that’s my message,” she said.
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...e/news-story/916d723790c86a7773bc2d06cea7cae3

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
What a sad story. What pity this Mum had to learn the hard way. I know this vaccine isn't as good as we'd all like it to be, but at least it's better than doing nothing and just hoping you don't get exposed to someone with whooping cough.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
You know it's stories like this which make it so hard to sit by and watch misinformation and fear get spread around. :(

Reactions: teacozy

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can't imagine an infant with whopping cough. My 4 week old had RSV and I thought that was torture because there is just nothing you can do. I think the severity of some illnesses do get dismissed too. Like people don't realize just how bad pertussis is. that it isn't a bad cold, and it isn't easy to treat. Scary stuff.

I feel bad for the mom. I also feel bad for the backlash she may receive for promoting getting the vaccine. Individuals who change their mind and become vocally pro-vaccine are often not treated very well.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Oh. I didn't know that. That's very reassuring. Is definitely get this one if we have another child (might be thinking about it which is pretty exciting!). :)

Reactions: teacozy

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh. I didn't know that. That's very reassuring. Is definitely get this one if we have another child (might be thinking about it which is pretty exciting!). :)
How exciting! :love

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts