Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,355 Posts
This ritual is still a big deal for many young, black South Africans. The article indicates that the nurse was to be caring for them before the circumcision rites, but I doubt it is a means to not be altered. In fact, there is a sense of "cheating" the honor code if the ritual isn't followed and those who are circumcised in a true surgical environment (instead of in the bush) are looked down upon. Apparently it is obvious which circumcision route a young man has taken and he may be chided by his peers or looked down upon by a potential mate for not having had the ritual circumcision.

It is, no doubt, a barbaric practice, but well-entrenched in the culture of many black South Africans. I do not know of the origin of the ritual, however, if it is of European origin or pre-Colonial times.

· Registered
4,673 Posts
Quote:
In recent years, the practice of circumcision has come under scrutiny as dozens of boys have been accidentally killed or mutilated by amateur elders who have seized on the tradition as a way to make money.

Ever notice how money follows circumcision? Someone is always standing there at the ready to make a buck on another mans misery and disfigurement.

In these circumcision (alias "Inititation Camps) more than 20 young men die every year and dozens more are hospitalized with life threatening infections and severe blood loss. Calling them Initiation Camps is just trying to put a pretty face on something horrible and ugly. Give it s pseudo name! Make the men feel that it is a rite of inclusion into the clan. Make them proud of it. It's the same as the psychological pressure put on young women to have their genitals permanently disfigured. It is intense pressure.

I know it's a horrible thing to say but them killing this "nurse" is fair game. Who knows how much medical training he had. Who knows how many deaths he participated in in past years with his bloody vocation. I'm sure these young men had provocation for what they did and I can't say that I blamed them. This is not an option for the initiates. They are forced to go through with it. If they resist, they are kidnapped and if they try to run, they are hunted down and forcibly circumcised. I don't blame them at all.

South Africa has made attempts to stop the killing of the initiates by passing legislation requiring medical personnel at these forced circumcisions and the tribal elders have resisted all attempts. Now, I don't know if the legislation is enforced or not. It may be that the legislation is just a gesture in the right direction with no efforts to enforce it. Men getting forcibly violated is not something most care about. Men's lives are not of much value except to the victims. We are expendable. We are fodder for the cannons and sacrificial lambs for industry and political goals.

Frank

· Registered
4,673 Posts
This is the most personal and humiliating way possible of violating a man. There was another instance of Muslims in Indonesia circumcising Christian men. These actions are intended to intimidate both the victim and others in the most intense way possible.

Welcome back Phoebe!

Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.