Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What else can I do for the poor thing.

I diluted some rescue remedy and gently syringed some into the bunnies mouth and let it run out, I rubbed some full strength Rescue remedy on the bunnies ears, and I diluted it further and gently syringed the bare patches on his back where the cat tore off the fur and skin.
I put some calendula cream on those bare patches, and on one eye where the lid was slightly torn, I kinda pasted the eye shut with the cream so it could all heal (eye was looking a little dry).
And is now sitting in a nest of towels in a covered box in the basement where it is quiet.
I know the poor thing is probally in shock.

I was thinking of giving arnica remedy, but am unsure of how to give it.
Also dont know if I should be offering food or water? probally not for awhile eh?
What about some expressed breast milk?

This bunny looks to be about 6 weeks, not a nursling.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Call a local veteranarian and ask what else you can/should do and if there are any wildlife rehabilitators in the area who can help the bunny.

What works on humans is often harmful to wild animals, so I'd be very cautious using any human remedies on a bunny or other critter.

I'm willing to bet the vet will say offer water! We had a rabbit die from lack of water when I was a kid....

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Poor sweetie.
I think shock, right now, is the worst. I'd leave him quiet in the dark w/a little bowl of water and some fresh dandelions. And, before you come back to check, announce yourself so he doesn't startle.

OT but this still makes me cry, a couple of days ago a bear killed a baby moose in the neighborhood near ours. I guess they could hear the baby crying for 5 minutes as the bear "shredded" it. And, the mama kept running back and forth not knowing what to do.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
HI! I sent you a PM but am posting this publicly in case anyone else has this happen.

I work at a wildlife rehab here in California.

It is illegal to keep and care for wild animals unless you have a rehabber's license - for many reasons. In this particular case, rabbits are very easily stressed and require a particular diet in order to grow correctly with the proper nutrition. You also run the risk of habituating it to humans, which is very dangerous for the rabbit and will cause it to run into problems in the wild. Furthermore, cats carry many germs in their saliva and claws and all animals caught by cats require antibiotic treatment.

Here are some rehab centers in Ontario - if you are not near one, call to ask where the nearest one is, and how you can get the rabbit there. In the meantime, the rabbit should be kept in a quiet, dark, warm place (i.e. cardboard box with holes with the box on top of heating pad or hot water bottle wrapped in towel) until you can bring it to a center. Provide a shallow jarlid of water but don't attempt to feed it. (Nest of towels in basement in box is great - but it should also have an indirect heating source, especially at night.)

THE ONTARIO SPCA WILDLIFE REHABILITATION CENTRE - 705-534-4350
http://www.ospca.on.ca/ta_wild_centre.html

Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary - Rosseau, Ontario
http://www.aspenvalleywildlifesanctuary.com/
(705) 732-6368

Second Chance Wildlife Sanctuary - Pickering, Ontario
http://www.second-chance.ws/
905-649-8282

Canada, Ontario, Southern region, Oxford County (Woodstock)..... 519-539-5968

Michelle Ramier (rehabber), Fur and Feathers Wildlife Rescue Center
[email protected]
Wildlife Species: small mammals

Canada, Ontario, Stittsville (near Ottawa)..... 613-831-8105 (home) or 613-722-6521 x6657 (work)

Selena Walker, Volunteer Wildlife Network (home-based rehab)
Wildlife Species: specializing in bats and other small mammals

Canada, Ontario, Southern region, Essex County (Amherstburg)..... 519-736-8172

Nancy Phillips (president), Wings Avian Rehabilitation Centre
[email protected]
Wildlife Species: accept all wildlife
Specialties: raptors, water birds and passerines
Comments: wildlife accepted from Southwestern Ontario, Canada - Windsor and Essex County area.

Canada, Ontario, Welland (Niagara Peninsula)..... 905-735-9556

Mary Catharine Kuruziak, House of Wildlife Rehab Center
[email protected]
Comments: fax 905-735-6885
Comments: experienced in the rehabilitation of injured/orphaned
raccoons, small mammals, RVS; Accept animals from Niagara area;
IWRC Provincial rep; OMNR Authorized Wildlife Custodian

Let me know how things go! If there isn't any place or rehabber near you, you should DEFINITELY take it to a vet that treats small mammals like hamsters, etc. because he/she will know what type of antibiotics to give and how to feed, etc. Thanks for trying to help!

Cheers!
EMily

1 - 6 of 6 Posts