Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some more things to do with beans. I like them as bean salad out of the can for a convenient quick lunch. I make hummus, bean soups- got any more great tasting not too complex ways to fix those little legumes?<br><br>
(Tomato free/dairy/soy free needed)<br><br>
TIA

·
Registered
99 Posts
You could make a dark and dirty chilli without tomatoes...I've never tried it but I think it might work...<br><br>
can Kidney beans<br><br>
can chick peas or black beans<br><br>
can corn<br><br>
sauteed red pepper and onion and carrot maybe?<br><br>
chilli powder to taste<br><br>
or<br><br>
mashed beans with garlic and cumin some sauteed veg in a wrap and baked for a 40 minutes...add salsa and avacado for topping.<br><br>
I make big batches of these using the food processer and then freeze them individually for quick filling food<br><br>
Another thing I have started doing is adding a little honey to my hummus...its tasty!!

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Here's a dish I made the other day for a barbeque and it was a big hit with both kids and adults.<br><br>
Bean and Rice Salad<br><br>
2 cups cooked black or kidney beans (or 1 15-ounce can)<br>
2 cups cooked brown rice<br>
1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)<br>
4 green onions, sliced<br>
1 carrot, shredded<br>
1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro or parsley<br>
grated peel of 1 orange<br><br>
Dressing:<br>
Juice of 1 orange (about 1/3 cup)<br>
Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)<br>
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil<br>
2 tablespoons olive oil<br>
1 tablespoon soy sauce<br>
2 teaspoons honey or brown rice syrup<br><br>
Combine beans, rice, corn, green onions, carrot, cilantro or parsley, and orange peel in large bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss with salad. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, it’s even better if it sits overnight.<br><br>
Serves 6 to 8<br><br>
We also eat burritos a lot - just rice, beans, sauted veggies (onions, zucchini, corn, etc.), and avocado and salsa (well maybe you would have to skip the salsa)

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks- those sound delicious!

·
Registered
464 Posts
We eat a lot of pasta w/stirfried veggies. You can add beans to that.<br><br>
Make tomato sauce w/lentils or borlotti beans.<br><br>
We love tacos made w/refried beans. I cook 2-3 lbs pintos, drain bit, mash. Fry a bunch of chopped garlic and onions (about 4) in some olive oil when wilted, add chili powder (I use about 1/4 c.), gently frly for a min. then gradually mix in the beans and fry stirring/scraping constantly until just a little thinner than you want them to end up. Then I let them cool, freeze meal size amounts in sandwich baggies. We make tacos by spreading beans over 1/2 of a flour tortilla (we also use cheese). Fry flat in a tiny bit of oil until flexible enought to fold in half. Cook until brown and crispy on both sides, pry apart, add toppings and enjoy!<br><br>
HTH

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
On the super-simple side: bean and cheese quesadillas... I preheat a dry,heavy skillet, spread canned refried beans (pinto or black) thinly on one half of a tortilla, top the beans with a little monterey jack or colby jack cheese (sometimes I sprinkle on a little drained salsa as well), fold it over, and toast in the dry skillet until crisp and lightly browned on each side.<br><br>
Dovie has a yummaliscious recipe here:<br><a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42070&highlight=beans" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=beans</a><br><br>
peace,<br>
alsoSarah

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
small white beans are wonderful in pasta dishes, as well as in minestrone w/ kidney and/or chick peas<br><br>
polenta pizza topped w/ goat cheese, black beans, mushrooms, and cilantro<br><br>
fava beans marinated w/ italian dressing and chopped parsley<br><br>
lima beans sauteed w/ butter, corn kernals, and diced onions<br><br>
soba noodles w/ adzuki beans, sesame oil, and tamari (stir in any other yummie vegis you like)<br><br>
black bean enchiladas<br><br>
salad~ torn romaine, kidney beans, corn kernals, diced chives, fresh cilantro, red onions, chopped avocado, salsa and sour cream

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those sound good. I'll have to get some lima beans.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
another super simple one~~~<br>
red beans and rice!!!<br><br>
I cook red beans and brown rice separately, and then saute onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne, and fresh cilantro (ooh, and chipotle!) in a skillet. Add the rice and beans and a bit of the bean liquid from cooking and let everything marry for a while. I serve it with a avocado and tomato salad, but you could just "marinate" avocado slices in lime and cilantro and serve it on top of the hash!<br><br>
great, now I am hungry, off to make breakfast

1 - 9 of 9 Posts