Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some more things to do with beans. I like them as bean salad out of the can for a convenient quick lunch. I make hummus, bean soups- got any more great tasting not too complex ways to fix those little legumes?

(Tomato free/dairy/soy free needed)

TIA

·
Registered
99 Posts
You could make a dark and dirty chilli without tomatoes...I've never tried it but I think it might work...

can Kidney beans

can chick peas or black beans

can corn

sauteed red pepper and onion and carrot maybe?

chilli powder to taste

or

mashed beans with garlic and cumin some sauteed veg in a wrap and baked for a 40 minutes...add salsa and avacado for topping.

I make big batches of these using the food processer and then freeze them individually for quick filling food

Another thing I have started doing is adding a little honey to my hummus...its tasty!!

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Here's a dish I made the other day for a barbeque and it was a big hit with both kids and adults.

Bean and Rice Salad

2 cups cooked black or kidney beans (or 1 15-ounce can)
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
4 green onions, sliced
1 carrot, shredded
1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro or parsley
grated peel of 1 orange

Dressing:
Juice of 1 orange (about 1/3 cup)
Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons honey or brown rice syrup

Combine beans, rice, corn, green onions, carrot, cilantro or parsley, and orange peel in large bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss with salad. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, it's even better if it sits overnight.

Serves 6 to 8

We also eat burritos a lot - just rice, beans, sauted veggies (onions, zucchini, corn, etc.), and avocado and salsa (well maybe you would have to skip the salsa)

·
Registered
464 Posts
We eat a lot of pasta w/stirfried veggies. You can add beans to that.

Make tomato sauce w/lentils or borlotti beans.

We love tacos made w/refried beans. I cook 2-3 lbs pintos, drain bit, mash. Fry a bunch of chopped garlic and onions (about 4) in some olive oil when wilted, add chili powder (I use about 1/4 c.), gently frly for a min. then gradually mix in the beans and fry stirring/scraping constantly until just a little thinner than you want them to end up. Then I let them cool, freeze meal size amounts in sandwich baggies. We make tacos by spreading beans over 1/2 of a flour tortilla (we also use cheese). Fry flat in a tiny bit of oil until flexible enought to fold in half. Cook until brown and crispy on both sides, pry apart, add toppings and enjoy!

HTH

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
On the super-simple side: bean and cheese quesadillas... I preheat a dry,heavy skillet, spread canned refried beans (pinto or black) thinly on one half of a tortilla, top the beans with a little monterey jack or colby jack cheese (sometimes I sprinkle on a little drained salsa as well), fold it over, and toast in the dry skillet until crisp and lightly browned on each side.

Dovie has a yummaliscious recipe here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ighlight=beans

peace,
alsoSarah

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
small white beans are wonderful in pasta dishes, as well as in minestrone w/ kidney and/or chick peas

polenta pizza topped w/ goat cheese, black beans, mushrooms, and cilantro

fava beans marinated w/ italian dressing and chopped parsley

lima beans sauteed w/ butter, corn kernals, and diced onions

soba noodles w/ adzuki beans, sesame oil, and tamari (stir in any other yummie vegis you like)

black bean enchiladas

salad~ torn romaine, kidney beans, corn kernals, diced chives, fresh cilantro, red onions, chopped avocado, salsa and sour cream

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
another super simple one~~~
red beans and rice!!!

I cook red beans and brown rice separately, and then saute onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne, and fresh cilantro (ooh, and chipotle!) in a skillet. Add the rice and beans and a bit of the bean liquid from cooking and let everything marry for a while. I serve it with a avocado and tomato salad, but you could just "marinate" avocado slices in lime and cilantro and serve it on top of the hash!

great, now I am hungry, off to make breakfast

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.