Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>what you need to include: lean protein, beans or lentils, vegetables (except corn and potatoes)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>what you can't use: dairy (except cottage cheese), grains of any kind, fruits, any kind of processed food, or sugars. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>what would you make??? </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I would make a hearty stew with chicken or other lean meat, some winter squash and lots of other veggies, a couple of varieties of beans, all in a tomato-based sauce, with herbs.<br><br>
Another option would be a variety of curries, thickened with coconut milk. You could even use pander since that is just strained cottage cheese.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
<p>I'm making red lentils w/ sweet potoato curry for dinner tonight... does that count? Though, I do serve it over rice... hmm...</p>

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
<p>chili!!! this my version of the silver palette recipe.  If I have room in the freezer I make the whole thing and freeze 1/2 in 2 batches.  (I don't consider tomato paste or canned tomato processed.  If you do ignore!)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>2 tbs  olive oil<br>
1 pound onions, coarsely chopped<br>
1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage<br>
4 pounds xtra lean beef, ground<br>
12 ounces tomato paste (large can)<br>
1 1/2 tbs minced garlic<br>
1/3 cup cumin<br>
1/2 cup chili powder<br>
1/4 cup mustard ( I like country dijon)<br>
2 tbs dried basil<br>
2 tbs dried oregano</p>
<p>red pepper flakes to taste<br>
salt and pepper to taste<br>
3 cans plum tomatoes (If I have them use the ones I froze from the garden, about 25-28 oz) but may need to adjust liquids<br>
1/4 cup good red wine- if you wouldn't drink it don't use it<br>
2 tbs fresh lemon juice<br>
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill<br>
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley<br>
2 cans or dried/soaked (32 oz in total) dark-red kidney beans, drained<br><br><br>
In a large heavy bottom pan heat the olive oil and saute onions until soft, add sausage and beef, cook until meat is browned and cooked thru. Drain off any excess fat</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Add the tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powder, mustard, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir well  and then add the tomatoes, wine, lemon juice, dill, parsley and kidney beans. Stir well again and simmer, uncovered, 15-30 minutes.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more S/P or heat as needed. Simmer for another 10-15 if you add more seasonings.  Good right away but even better the longer you simmer</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Serve with sliced chili's/jalapenos, back olives, chopped onion and sliced avocados.<br><br>
 </p>

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>my DH was just saying that chili is something he would eat. how much does that recipe make??</p>

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
<p> </p>
It serves 15-20 so if I don't have freezer space I cut the recipe in half. It's a great feed the freezer recipe tho so if you can make the whole thing I would. Really yummy!!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<p>if anyone is interested this is what i came up with: </p>
<p> </p>
<p>salmon and lentils, brussel sprouts and carrots</p>
<p>chili with meat and beans, spinach salad</p>
<p>chicken tortilla soup, minus the tortillas! sprout salad</p>
<p>rosemary-garlic white beans, chicken under a brick, garlic-y greens</p>
<p>turnip-sweet potato mash, sausage, broccoli</p>
<p>green bean, cauliflower, sweet potato curry with toasted cashew </p>