Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there who has no problems with food and overeating? If so, can you describe how your parents approached food issues? i.e. did you have to clean your plate, did you have healthy food around, etc. I am trying to raise my son so he won't have problems with overeating or with eating unhealthy food. I would like it to come easily for him. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
I really don't have a problem overeating. Once in awhile I'll eat a lot of fresh blueberry pie or something that is really good just made- but generally don't overeat.<br><br>
We had to clean our plates as kids and were not allowed snacks between meals and I was forced to sit at the table until I ate everything on my plate. My dad got busy (we had a farm and worked long hours) and forgot to feed us kids often because he forgot to eat, so I remember being hungry a lot, then eating a huge meal all at once, not knowing when the next one would be.<br><br>
When I left home, I fell into my own personal eating pattern of grazing- eating and snacking when I felt hunger at various times all day and stopping when full. I prefer snacking all day to meals.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't have perfect eating habits by any means but I really don't have any problems with food or overeating.<br><br>
A few things my mom discovered(might not work for every family but this is how it went for us):<br><br>
If you cut up fruit into slices and put it on a plate it will disappear faster than the same fruit would sitting in a bowl, uncut. Particularly if served with cheese slices or peanut butter.<br><br>
Kept a variety of relatively healthy snacks around!<br><br>
Allowed some wiggle room for less than perfectly nutritous snacks (i.e if vanilla yogurt (sweetened with sugar) with granola & fruit is more likely to get eaten than plain or fat free plain yogurt with the same toppings, allow it rather than being a purist about it)<br><br>
encouraged more but smaller meals, particularly later in the day. This wasn't carved in stone and schedules and events often lead to us having a traditional supper, but in general, its better to eat less but more often.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I don't really have any prpblems w/ overeating and I feel like I have a good relationship w/ food and my body...<br><br>
But this was not taught by my mom! She taught me (by example) to skip breakfast, crash diet, and have an unhealthy body image... that coupled w/ years in the dance world and the pressures of that enviroment, I spent many years skipping meals, dieting, being bulemic, etc....<br><br>
How I learned to come to a healthier place... weight training (1 lb of muscle burns 50 calories an hr, 1 lb of fat burns 3), eating small frequent meals, avoid depriving myself foods I really want, drinking lots of water, and always eating breakfast!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts