Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have two MOE diaper pail liners that "can" hang off a doorknob, etc. I actually use the liner in a plain old plastic garbage can with a spring top lid. It holds enough to make me do laundry every 2-3 days!

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Well I just have a white sterlite pail I bought from target. It holds about 2 days worth of diapers. I usually line it with a L Bummis wet bag but can also hang it on the door nob by the strings.

What I would love is a bigger stainless steel can with the foot pedal. I'd like it to hold another days worth of dipes. My friend has one as a trash can and I always think it would be a really nice diaper pail
I'd have to get a bigger wet bag though or use trash bags.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm using the diaper pail my MIL used with my husband...if you can believe that!!!!

It's 30 years old, works great. Lovely avocado color.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jensben
I'm using the diaper pail my MIL used with my husband...if you can believe that!!!!

It's 30 years old, works great. Lovely avocado color.

oh thats neat! I'd love the avocado

I have some of my old flats my mom used and probably would have loved it if she kept the diaper pail since *real* ones are hard to find.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I like my flip top Sterilite pails. I have 2 of the smaller 28qt ones, since we have 2 changing areas(one upstairs, one down). If I only had one changing area, I'd probably get the larger 54qt can but the smaller ones work nicely for our situation. Actually, right now, the one upstairs hardly gets used which will definitely change once I have 2 in diapers again here in a few months. Right now I primarily use the downstairs one and wash every couple of days when it's full but am able to do a medium load instead of large. When both pails are full to the top it's just the right amount for a large wash load.

·
Registered
642 Posts
we use a plastic trash can with the flipper lid. I bought it at lowes. It fits a bummis purple/large wet bag perfect and holds 2-3 days worth. This works great. For DS I used a tightly woven basket can with a heavy lid we got at target with a bummis bag. There are all kinds of things you can use. Doesn't have to be a pail with a tight lid unless you use a wet pail.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Do you need a liner with a wet pail? Currently I am using a small rubbermaid as a dry pail and a med bucket as a wet pail with no liners. I have to wash often as I can only go about a day to a day and a half with the dipes I have. Suggestions for an easier system?

Allison

Sorry to hijack!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
how is this for easy?

bummis wet bag as liner, take diapers (minus any large/non breastmilk poos-they must be shaken/rinsed) and the bag and toss into washer. My can holds 3 days worth of prefolds.

when I had a top loader, I would toss in and soak overnight. Now I have a front loader. "rinse and spin" replaces the soak, then I do two cycles, the hot hot water one with calgon/deterg and vineger in the rinse (i don't know if it is necessary, but ds likes to pour something in) and then a short hot rinse.

I don't put the bummis bag in the dryer.

Every once in a while i will wash the flipper lid. I don't use any odor thingies, etc. We don't have "diaper stink" and we do have hard water. Rinse and spin doesn't get the stains out as well as the overnight soak, but I don't give a hoot about old prefolds getting some stains, we are care-free on that one!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Upstairs - Happy Tushies large pail liner hanging from the closet doorknob.

Downstairs - HT pail liner in a flip top Sterilite trash can.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Of all the strange things, my diaper pail is a popcorn tin. My mother gave my dd one of those tins that had three flavors of artificially flavored popcorn. DD wanted it because of the Madagascar characters on it and it sat around the house for awhile, then I put my diapers in it and oh how wonderful it is. The lid fits tightly and no odor escapes. It can be pretty stinky when I open it, but what can you expect? I am hoping someone in my family gets one of these tins for Christmas, so I can have it without having to deal with the icky popcorn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts