Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
check out this <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?ex=1320642000&en=a55ab31eb6c5a47d&ei=5090" target="_blank">no knead bread recipe</a> - it's my new fave though i haven't tried to deviate at all from the directions using whole wheat or anything yet. it comes out like a ciabatta without a lot of work.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Here's the basic recipe that I use for making our bread. I make it twice a week.<br><br>
Combine:<br>
6 c. flour<br>
3 T. yeast<br>
1 1/2 t. salt<br>
Heat to 120-130F:<br>
4 T. molasses and/or honey<br>
4 T. butter or oil<br>
2 c. milk<br>
2 1/2 c. water<br>
Add:<br>
about 6 c. flour (may be more or less)<br><br>
Knead 10 minutes. Let rise in greased bowl until double (about 1 hour). Punch down, divide in half, and let rise in greased bread pans until double (about 1/2 an hour). Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes. Remove from pans to cool. Makes 4 loaves.<br><br>
For the first batch of flour, I use 3 c. whole wheat, 1 c. white flour, and 2 c. of grainy stuff (for example, I might do: 1/2 c. oatmeal, 1/2 rye flakes, 1/3 c. cracked wheat, 1/4 c. millet, a couple t or T each of: sesame seeds, flax seeds blended, poppy seeds, cornmeal).<br><br>
For the second part of the flour, I use: 2 c. spelt flour, 1 c. barley flour, 1 c. rye, and the rest white flour.<br><br>
I usually keep one loaf in the fridge, the others in the freezer. During the summer they don't last well at room temperature. In winter it works to be out for a couple days.<br><br>
Happy Baking!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts