Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some feedback for you that have read the Grimm's tales. I am looking to read to my son, however I do want the "gentlest" ones. I hate the ones that start out "the little girls mother and father died, she had noone and was left in the woods alone with a fierce wolf"! Now I know these are suppost to "speak" to the children on a level that it is only as graphic as they can handle, but I am just not there yet! Any mamas have some favorites?

·
Registered
929 Posts
The Frog King and The Musicians of Bremen come to mind. How old are your children? I feel that I may have jumped into fairy tales too soon with my ds, and maybe should have stuck with nature stories/mama stories a little while longer.

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
Yeah, I think a very limited number of these stories can be used with kindergartners, but mostly they begin with first grade and older.<br><br>
It is a long time since I read any...

·
Registered
537 Posts
My four-year-olds are pretty sensitive, but they LOVE Paul Zelinsky's version of <span style="text-decoration:underline;">Rumpelstiltsken</span>, and so do I. I'd definately check this one out. Amazing illustrations, great rendition, with a history of the story in the back.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mamas! My ds is almost 6 and dd is almost 4. DD does not have much of an interest in reading for any length of time. I know in ds kindy class they have been reading some fairy tales (or shall I say hearing them). I have to admit I get a bit uneasy when he said the other day "we heard a story about a bunch of children who were all cuffed together from someone bad". He although did not seem phased as I. I will read those suggestions, thank you all so much!!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Have you seen the new Little Red Riding Hood? The pictures in the book are beautiful and the story is not too scary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts