Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what style nurser do you guys have?

Cullen is The Contender, just like his sister was. He must first beat my breast with his tiny fists (tenderizing??), then snort, nuzzle, smell, flick, and gum my nipple for 5 minutes before fiercely latching on and sucking like someone's taking it away from him. Nursing is loud, sputtering, and messy, with milk coming out his nose every once in a while. He eats a ton, though, and drains a breast per feeding.

I do express a bit, because I have a bit of a forceful let-down, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. :LOL

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Joey is a "Nipper-Napper" as described by Dr. Sears :LOL

She'll nurse for a little while, fall asleep; and then as soon as I move her or start to put myself away, she's wide awake and rooting around for more. We have lovely prolonged feedings, usually overnight.

I am trying to enjoy them, as I know it's just a phase and I'll miss these days when they're gone. (I already miss her thumping on my bladder to some degree
)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Istra does all of the above! :LOL Lately she's been doing like Abigail... pulling off at the most inopportune times, just when I'm gushing milk. Yesterday she pulled off and I swear there was a geyser coming out of my nipple and it went all over her face and everything else. I started laughing and DH came over to see what was going on and the darned thing was still squirting. DH was like "watch where you point that thing!"

Anyway, she also falls asleep frequently. That has become my cue to burp her. Burping serves a dual function--to get the gas out and wake her up! We also do diaper changes to wake her up mid-nurse. Nothing pisses Istra off more than a diaper change and after that she nurses with a vengeance! :LOL

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've got a millon names for the million nursing moods of our eisa. some are very sweet and others start and end with the word "ouch!" It eases my mind to hear that she is not the only baby in the world with milk coming out of her nose- the first time I was so startled. And for enjoying the night time nursings- I do enjoy probably one or two each night. I guess those are what I will remember. And we should start now b/c it is almost ten thirty. good night. mcs

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Elaina is a 'if I'm awake, I'm eating!' sort of girl at the moment, must be fixing to grow! She's pretty business like most of the time, but sometimes she's a nipper napper
Sometimes she makes the sweetest sounds while nursing, and on my right side I think my letdown is particularly strong cause her noises get quite frantic and then she often pops off (yeah, the milk everywhere!) and splutters a little before relatching.

Nursing has smoothed out a whole lot. If only I could master doing it laying down...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I don't know how I would describe Gwen. She falls asleep nursing, but since she's up about a pound already, I don't think it's before she's full. :LOL She latches on for a bit, lets go (thankfully she's not into pulling off ouch) and looks around. My letdown isn't as crazy this time around, so it's not spraying all over, but it's usually dripping down her cheek so she always ends up all sticky. then she'll latch back on suck a bit, look around, suck a bit, stop to look around.... never delatching or moving her head... but her eyes go all over. Or she'll stare at my arm or my shirt or something.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
My seven week old ds is a LOUD nurser. It seems that he has taken on all caveman qualities since birth...loud gas, loud pooping, and loud messy sucking. This is fine at home...but I was at my midwives' office today and forgot that there were others waiting in the office. Good grief, did I get looks! He sounds like he is inhaling and slurping at the same time. Since he's gaining well, we just laugh about it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by almostfey
Nursing has smoothed out a whole lot. If only I could master doing it laying down...
Don't worry- I couldn't nurse laying down until dd was about 3 mo old. I thought it would never work and then one day it just did.

Depending on where we are, dd can be any of the above styles. When we're visiting my mom she will not stay latched on for more than 2 sucks, then she has to check and make sure her Nonnie is still there. :LOL (She *LOVES* her Nonnie) Nursing usually has to be taken somewhere quiet just so she'll actually eat, and even then she's checking to see where she went.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts