Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would it be? My dh has been convinced to cd from the get go with our next baby, after starting dd at 10 months, and having her pt at 20 months. He saw how much it saved us (even though I did get more than I needed!) and that they are relatively easy to use and I wash them anyway. So if you had say, $300 what would you get for a newborn/infant stash? Something for say, the first 6 months. I think at about 6 months, we'll probably go to a OS something...but dont know what. So After the NB stash, if you had another say, $300 to spend on a OS system (or something that would last until pt), what would it be? I crochet shorts and longies, so I dont need those, but would probably get some pul type covers for the nb stage. Oh and organic fabrics are definately a plus! Ok, shop for me!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm still accumulating NB diapes for the one due in Aug. But so far I have 12 Kissaluv's size 0, a few assorted contours (Snappi brand), and I will be getting 2 dozen or so prefolds. The biggest investment so far was the KL but I got them through the outlet sale so it was about $100 for a dozen. I am still debating covers- I'm knitting some longies and soakers, and think I might get some Prowraps.

For past the newborn stage, I have some BG 2.0 OS that my toddler has recently outgrown, waiting for the new baby to use. Might also get some prefolds and maybe some loveybums or hyenas just for varieties sake (only with extra money). I don't think the total will come to over $300 for my newborn/infant stuff- but I have the BG expense already taken care of.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I make most of my own stuff, but I wanted to add a few things. We are doing mostly fitteds and covers for nb and small sizes with the new baby. I make my own longies too, but I am thinking that would be a bad idea for a newborn. We are going with some pul and some fleece covers with the fitteds. I also have a 1-3 day supply of prefolds for each size. In case I don't/can't get to laundry, that should save my hubby from picking up a "just in case" package of sposies.

I like the BG, too. They fit my son better than the FB ever did (not one sized...but a med. may last you through the rest...if you have the right shaped child) , but the fb never really fit him. He is way too tall and skinny! There are a couple of other one sized diapers that work well so it would be worth looking into those.

I just have to say that the idea of spending just 300 for the first 6 months cracks me up! We spent 300 on the first 2 months of sposies for my son. He was allergic to everything but the most expensive. My fabric budget for the new baby was about $300. That included enough fabric (bamboo, pul, foe, hemp, and the like) to diaper the new child for her entire diaper lifetime...I hope. I just wanted to say that I love cd as a way to save money. If you are careful, you can save a ton.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I would convert prefolds into pre-fitteds (adding elastic, snap down front to avoid the cord stump, and maybe snaps or aplix closure) and get some Bummis SIWW. I would also get a few pockets (FBs or GADS) and inserts for naps, night time and outtings. I'm pretty sure I could do that for $300, especially if I found a prefold co-op. The reason I would convert prefolds is because giving them a more fitted like shape makes them easier to deal with in a sleep deprived state and contain blowouts. They are also the simplest to deal with laundry wise, rarely ever getting build up and stink issues. And I think with a newborn simplicity is key!

I would get some yummy yarn with whatevers left over if I could crochet, wish I had learned from my Granny so long ago!!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have some One size diapers and i HATE them. THey have worn out so badly (we have used them 8 months) i wish i would ahve invested in some sized ones and sold them as he grew outta them

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thatnks for the responses, keep them coming! I am definately going to get between 3-4 IPF in both (infant and premium) sizes, just to have as a back up. As much as I LOVE their verstility and ease of care and their value, I just can NOT get the hang of the pins or the snappi. SO I would use them trifolded in a PUL cover.
I am thinking 6 pul covers for the newborn/small age. How many wool longies/shorties? Is 6 enough? I know the bf poo leaks alot...
So I will definately do some sort of fitted...what are some of your favorites for the nb/small stage? I used kissaluvs when we started cding dd, at about 10 months. I liked them ok, but I wish they had a higher rise. So what organic fitteds are your favorite?
:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.