Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used natural remedies (supplements, herbs, homeopathics, etc) to help myself heal. As we enter the cold and flu season I now have a 6 month old to take care of and wonder what you all would recommend having on hand to help us through?

So here is the question. . . What one or two items do you find indispensible (for kids) in your natural medicine chest?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just don't have a store close by where I can get a lot of the herbal or homeopathic remedies that I might need and I'd like to be prepared.

For example, ds had an ear infection last week and I found out warm oil with mullein and garlic can help but I couldn't schlep a sick baby 30 minutes to Whole Foods and 30 minutes home. So I feel like that would be good to have on hand for next time.

Now he is really phlegmy in his head and chest but besides elimiinating dairy, running a humidifier and doing the hot shower thing I don't know how to help move the mucus through. It has been there a while and I am worried it will turn into a sinus infection or pneumonia.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would recommend the book Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child. It tells you conventional medications/treatments, plus herbs, dietary support, homeopathy, flower essences, accupressure, etc. The book is huge and is only $23.

Your little one is really young, so not many herbs or remedies are recommended. I would probably keep arnica montana on hand, and chamomilla. I would have organic chamomile flowers on hand for tea (or buy the tea bags, but the herbs are far cheaper from Mountain Rose Herbs). For the ear pain, you could have used straight extra virgin olive oil, which has germ fighting ability and is soothing.

I would also keep some essential oils on hand, like lavender, chamomile (Roman and German), dill, eucalyptus, calendula, and tea tree, all of which are safe to use if your baby is 6 months old. A great book is Valerie Ann Worwood's The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy. There is a whole section on babies and children, and even more oils listed that you can use on your little one.

Are you breastfeeding? Cutting out dairy is a good first step, but you should also cut sweets and fried foods. Increase your intake of vitamin C, zinc, and carotenoids.

HTH,

Kimberly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.