Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I went to the dentist to get a cleaning taken care of, before I get pregnant.....and I found out that I have a cavity.

My appt. for the filling is January 7th, but I'm going to ovulate some time around December 25th. I was so excited to finally make our first attempt at TTC, but now I'm wondering if I should wait until next cycle., or if it's not that big of a deal. I really don't want to wait, but what do you think?

What would you do?

· Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, DH and I have decided to hold off on TTC for December. (kind of a bummer, cause we have a little vacation planned)

The reason is that along with the filling I'm getting done in January, my dentist said that my gums are not in very good shape. I had a deep cleaning yesterday in a couple areas (like where they need to use novacaine to clean the area)....and then I'm scheduled for another cleaning in January. My DH did some research, and any sort of periodontal disease is not good for pregnancy.

Plus, my dentist said that I should get things good and healthy first, because it can get worse once pregnancy hormones start affecting gums, etc.

I'm sure everything would probably be fine if we conceived this month, but like my DH said "why risk it."

Oh! ...and I'm getting a gold filling to avoid the mercury.

· Registered
5,113 Posts
You should probably increase your vitamin C to strenghten your gums. Also, brushing with sodium ascorbate (not ascorbic acid) can help too. As can using an irrigator, like a ViaJet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.