Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our "ice storm" (don't laugh, we in STL take our ice seriously
) came in last night.....and all three of our cars can now be called broken down junkers!

ARGH!

DH owns a car, I own a car and his parents gave us the old family car.

So my car and the old family car expire in January and February. The old family car isn't going to pass inspections or emissions. We were prepared for that. My car is a racing car with a dual overhead and lots of extras that are all falling apart. We were going to sell it as-is. We simply don't have the $$$ to fix these two cars. Besides the amount of $$ it would require could buy us another used car.

So it was down to DH's car, a convenient, comfy Cavalier. Nope. The fuel pump just died on it, along with the electrical harness and battery. Right after we put new tires on it and tagged it for two years!
Dobbs quoted us $2000 for all the repairs, and they also say the timing belt and alternator are going out.

I had this idea that we would share one car for 6-9 months and save up money to buy a newish car in the late summer. I guess that was my brain during pregnancy.
Any money we have right now (which is basically nil as it is) is going to pay for our next semester of school.

DH said, "At least I can ride my bicycle to work if I stay off the HWY." Uh, no.
Your bike is broken, hun!

I don't don't don't want to take out a car loan! We have too many loans!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
that sucks! Our car's have been sucking money like a sponge this month... (And DH's car still wont start 100% of the time!).
s

·
Banned
5,766 Posts
that's awful. but are you absolutely sure all those things are wrong with your DH's car? I've had the fuel pump go out before (replaced it myself, hard and got gas all over myself) and a battery go out. I've even had a short in my electrical harness. Never at the same time and not even in the same car. Unless there was a fire or something got melted, it seems hard to believe that all those went bad at once.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lalaland42 View Post
that's awful. but are you absolutely sure all those things are wrong with your DH's car? I've had the fuel pump go out before (replaced it myself, hard and got gas all over myself) and a battery go out. I've even had a short in my electrical harness. Never at the same time and not even in the same car. Unless there was a fire or something got melted, it seems hard to believe that all those went bad at once.
Yeah. I feel cursed. Egads!

The fuel pump was in the back of our minds as getting ready to die. But the other stuff wasn't. Apparently what happened (and we got to see the undercarriage for ourself) is the fuel pump died and the electrical harness was already partially stripped due to wear. So when it started icing and we were on the HWY, it shorted the electrical system and ruined a bunch of stuff. Including the battery.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Can you go somewhere else to get it fixed? Dobbs and brand name places are usually way higher than the family owned shops. My husband was quoted $500 at carx and ended up buying parts and doing everything himself for about $100. They had huge markups on their parts. Or maybe you could even order the parts yourself and have another place do the labor.

You can also "tip" the inspection adn emissions people to get your car passed. I know it's shady, but if you really need a car....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Mama!! I feel for you! DH's truck has been having problems since we got married. Its only a 97 so really its not too old. Since we got married we have replaced the battery, tires, spent $500 at a shop to get it to run. and wouldnt you know tuesday I went to start it and it wont start
: We have tried jumping it, new battery AGAIN. . . nothing.
It sucks! We really need to replace it but DH loves it and wanted to run it a few years yet.
My car we just replaced the brake pads on it over the weekend so thankfully it is running fine now and its a 2000 so it should be good for a while.
I would suggest getting a price quote from just a local mechanic shop. They are lots cheaper than big name shops.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
DOn't suppose you know anyone in a useful place? We just recently moved to WV from OH, and OH didn't have emissions/inspections so this was news to us. However, a friend asked for our registration one day and came back with our sticker... I didn't ask questions (i've no doubt my car would have passed anyway, but it saved me some $$ because you pay a certified place for your inspection here). Know anyone who might be able to help like that?

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Definitely go elsewhere, a small mechanical shop or have a friend do the repairs, those things are not the expensive to fix (parts may be on the high side, but it's the labor they're charging that jacks the price up.)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
That sucks! I'm sorry!
Can you guys go to the junkyard and get the part yourselves, maybe it will cost less? Or ask on freecycle.

Big hugs to you!

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
I'd sell the two old cars on ebay: some dealer will come along and rip apart your baby and it'll feel like crap, but at least you'll have cash in your pocket and that should more or less pay for the parts to fix the cavalier. Then it's just labour you're looking at, and frankly, with a fuel pump I wouldn't try to do it yourself, I would hire a professional.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Oh man, I can so sympathize. We haven't driven DH's truck in months because it needs two new batteries (thank you Cummins diesel) - which are going to set us back about $160. Fortunately his work provides him with a company vehicle, so it hasn't really felt like living in a one-car household, but it's been more than a little frustrating making a $375/month payment (plus full coverage insurance) on a dumb truck that isn't even moving.

We have been planning to finally get the batteries and switch our main vehicle to DH's truck when we have our baby, though, because it's a safer setup for a carseat. So, he went out earlier today and started to warm up my truck to go to the auto parts store to get the batteries. He was also going to go file for unemployment while he was out, because oh lucky us, his guaranteed 40-hours-a-week job is now giving him like... 15. *headdesk*

So anyway, he was warming up my truck (it was about 10 degrees outside at the time) and I was listening to it idle thinking "Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right." Sure enough, the longer it idled, the worse it sounded, until finally I said "Um, do you hear that? It sounds like it is going to rattle apart." He went out and popped the hood and diagnosed it as "undriveable." (No idea what is actually wrong with it.) AHHHHH!

Fortunately my sister recently moved to town, so I was able to borrow her vehicle for the afternoon to run errands gathering up my final birth supplies. By the time I got home, DH said he'd tried my truck again later in the day and it wouldn't start at all... now it's acting like it has a dead battery.

So now my sister will be coming by in the morning to pick us up on her way to work, so we can drop her off and borrow her car for the day. I am crossing all my fingers and toes the diesel won't need anything other than batteries to get up and running again.

This would make a hilarious sitcom if it weren't happening TO ME!

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by laurelg View Post
Oh man, I can so sympathize. We haven't driven DH's truck in months because it needs two new batteries (thank you Cummins diesel) - which are going to set us back about $160. Fortunately his work provides him with a company vehicle, so it hasn't really felt like living in a one-car household, but it's been more than a little frustrating making a $375/month payment (plus full coverage insurance) on a dumb truck that isn't even moving.

We have been planning to finally get the batteries and switch our main vehicle to DH's truck when we have our baby, though, because it's a safer setup for a carseat. So, he went out earlier today and started to warm up my truck to go to the auto parts store to get the batteries. He was also going to go file for unemployment while he was out, because oh lucky us, his guaranteed 40-hours-a-week job is now giving him like... 15. *headdesk*

So anyway, he was warming up my truck (it was about 10 degrees outside at the time) and I was listening to it idle thinking "Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right." Sure enough, the longer it idled, the worse it sounded, until finally I said "Um, do you hear that? It sounds like it is going to rattle apart." He went out and popped the hood and diagnosed it as "undriveable." (No idea what is actually wrong with it.) AHHHHH!

Fortunately my sister recently moved to town, so I was able to borrow her vehicle for the afternoon to run errands gathering up my final birth supplies. By the time I got home, DH said he'd tried my truck again later in the day and it wouldn't start at all... now it's acting like it has a dead battery.

So now my sister will be coming by in the morning to pick us up on her way to work, so we can drop her off and borrow her car for the day. I am crossing all my fingers and toes the diesel won't need anything other than batteries to get up and running again.

This would make a hilarious sitcom if it weren't happening TO ME!
OMG that's life huh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.