1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who own a Yurt I want to know:
Where did you buy it?
What did it cost once it was finished?
How long did it take to build?
How do you like it? Can you mention pluses or minuses to Yurt living?

· Registered
1,388 Posts
I haven't lived in a yurt but I did live in a canvas dome. I would not recommend the domes because ours was cold (which we could deal with) and in one rain storm it leaked buckets. I was pregnant at the time.
: We have recently looked into the yurts and the two companies we like are pacific yurts and rainier yurts. Rainier yurts are more expensive because they have improved a lot of the original yurts by using better materials. They also make a economy priced yurt with good but not top quality materials. I would guess that a good sized yurt with extra insulation would be around $8,000 +, but I don't have my pricing sheet on hand. Yurts are really beautiful spaces to be in (we will be building a round house because we loved the feel of it), and easy to heat although they don't hold heat very well (compared to a house).

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. My research has just begun! I love the idea of building a home with my own hands and the help of family and friends. I love a round house too! Yurts can be very inexpensive but the sky is the limit. I've seen Yurts for as much as 72,000. That is just the structure. You would need to put in appliances, cabinets, flooring, carpets, bathrooms, or whatever you needed to put in it.

Farmer Mama,
When you built your canvas dome was this a kit or did you purchase a plan or design it yourself?

We plan to buy a kit and they come with a warrenty. Since we have never built a home before we think that buying a kit is a better way to go.

· Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am in the process of research. Nothing has been decided. we are "house shopping" . I am looking for something that is earth friendly and economical. Yurts and domes seem to be the best match for us. I need a good home that is going to last. I don't want a yurt if it is only going to last for 15-20 years.

I really appreciate your feedback about your experience. Thank you mama!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.