Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Any one else out there experience this?

I am having one of those days where even coming up with a plan just seems too hard. I had planned to run out and do errands after his first nap but as I tried to get us ready he still seemed so tired and cranky and I felt tired and cranky. We just sat down in the rocker and are cuddling and nursing. I'm staring at the pile of laundry waiting to be folded, the kitchen that is (as usual) a mess. I'm thinking about the food I should be cooking, and the exercise I should be doing. I thinking about how I should probably take him outside and we should really take a walk. My library books are overdue and we need some items from the drugstore. But here we sit, rock, rock, rock.

Don't worry I don't think this is PPD. It doesn't happen every day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Oh yeah, at least once a week. It drives me crazy when the house gets messy and every time I tell myself it won't happen again...three days later we're rocking.
I wish I had some advice but I'm right there with you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,037 Posts
Ugh, I usually have one of those when I'm completely depleted.

I am going to admit it here, I caffenate. Which isn't necessarily good. But, I get up so early.

I have four kids too.

My problem these days is that I have the best intentions on getting so much done each day. And, I get like 4 or 5 things done. And, DS nurses a lot (he's still a wee babe) and I find myself at the computer nursing him, or changing diapers, or eating, or preparing meals.

And, at the end of the day I see I've only done a handful of things for the house (like do a load of dishes, clothes here and there...sigh).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Welcome to motherhood


I find myself having too many of those days, and I tend to get really aggravated when the clutter builds up. But, I have to remind myself, it's not like I'm sitting around eating bonbons all day. Being a sahp is work in and of itself. And it is HARD work. EXHAUSTING work. FULFILLING work. And a heck of a lot more fun than folding laundry, IMO.


Enjoy this time with your baby. Rock away, mama, rock away.

And phatchristy -

Sounds like you're doing a fantastic job to me! Keep up the good work
(I'm wiped out just reading your siggie
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
Yup. I started trying to keep a diary or taking digital pix of what i do as a SAHM because by the end of the day it is all undone again.

It is never done, and it is more like fending back the tides than anything else when there's active kids around.

A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn08 View Post
Welcome to motherhood


I find myself having too many of those days, and I tend to get really aggravated when the clutter builds up. But, I have to remind myself, it's not like I'm sitting around eating bonbons all day. Being a sahp is work in and of itself. And it is HARD work. EXHAUSTING work. FULFILLING work. And a heck of a lot more fun than folding laundry, IMO.


Enjoy this time with your baby. Rock away, mama, rock away.

And phatchristy -

Sounds like you're doing a fantastic job to me! Keep up the good work
(I'm wiped out just reading your siggie
)


ditto to that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by astrophe27 View Post
Yup. I started trying to keep a diary or taking digital pix of what i do as a SAHM because by the end of the day it is all undone again.

It is never done, and it is more like fending back the tides than anything else when there's active kids around.

A.
Hahaha. I'll have to remember this! Ooo, I think next time I clean my kitchen floor I will take a picture and hang it up!!! It gets so gross SO fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,086 Posts
We're having one of those days right now. DD is sitting in her swing eating her stuffed bunny and I'm online b/c I don't even want to move. We're out of toilet paper, but we still have baby wipes so I'm not going to the store. All the silverware in the house is dirty, there's a pile of dirty laundry next to me and the dog needs a walk. But I'm just so darn tired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,392 Posts
When Baby #3 comes my way, I plan to eliminate everything except the bare necessities from my schedule and to just rock and rock and rock! Those days fly by much too quickly and I would far rather spend an hour rocking my baby than cleaning the floor!
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
945 Posts
I could've written your postl. *sigh* I try to not worry so much about those days because then I get depressed and have more of them. So I rest, relax, play a bit with the kids, and then try to be fresh the next day.

My favorite joke:

"A man comes home from work to see garbage on the front steps and two children he doesn't know playing in the toy strewn yard. As he enters the house there are more children watching tv with the radio blaring, and eating in the living room. He steps over piles of toys and clothes and sees food on the kitchen counters, the dog is eating garbage spilled on the floor, and the refridgerator door is open. As he looks around the chaos he can barely recognize his own home. Carefully navigating around toys, a pillow fight in progress, clothes, and food laying on the steps he heads up to his bedroom. In the relative serenety of his room he sees his wife in bed, reading a book. "whats going on?" says the bewildered man. "Well, remember when you asked me what I do at home all day?" she says with a slight smile. "Today I didn't do it."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,599 Posts
I have a lot of those days. Today was one of them.

Oddly enough, when I have no energy, I end up doing more, and it shows less. Today:

I cleaned turmeric off the kitchen floor - mostly (it's a work in progress) - after ds2 got into my spices.

I cleaned fenugreek seeds off the dining room carpet, and ended up sucking the mane of one of dd's ponies into the rollers, which burned off most of the tail (and filled my house with smoke).

I re-washed ds1's laundry, after ds2 threw laundry detergent into the hamper holding his clean clothes (about 10 minutes before ds1 got home, at which time he would have taken them upstairs).

I vacuumed all the pillow stuffing off the vacuum floor, and sewed up the pillow.

My house doesn't look like I did anything today...because there's only one of me - and two of them...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,591 Posts
Yes, I frequently have no energy. And I caffeinate. I don't know about you, but cosleeping w/ a nursing baby doesn't equal a good nights sleep, plus he wakes up sooo early...plus I don't go to bed early so I can get some free time...

Yeah, I'm tired. When I feel bad about it, we make cookies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epiphany View Post
"A man comes home from work to see garbage on the front steps and two children he doesn't know playing in the toy strewn yard. As he enters the house there are more children watching tv with the radio blaring, and eating in the living room. He steps over piles of toys and clothes and sees food on the kitchen counters, the dog is eating garbage spilled on the floor, and the refridgerator door is open. As he looks around the chaos he can barely recognize his own home. Carefully navigating around toys, a pillow fight in progress, clothes, and food laying on the steps he heads up to his bedroom. In the relative serenety of his room he sees his wife in bed, reading a book. "whats going on?" says the bewildered man. "Well, remember when you asked me what I do at home all day?" she says with a slight smile. "Today I didn't do it."


Quote:

Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Oddly enough, when I have no energy, I end up doing more, and it shows less.

My house doesn't look like I did anything today...because there's only one of me - and two of them...
: Who knew maintaining the status quo was such hard work?

Quote:

Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
Yeah, I'm tired. When I feel bad about it, we make cookies.

:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,637 Posts
Yeah, those days happen pretty regularly. If they're more then an occasional thing, I try to step back and make sure I'm taking good care of myself (enough sleep? content overall? eating pretty well? getting enough downtime?).

I try to set aside at least one fairly low-key day a week, which helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
486 Posts
Yes, I have those days. Sometimes I freak out over it, but then I tell myself I do what I need to do (and more) when I have energy enough. For days when it's really necessary, I have one or two cans of those horrible high-caffeinated energydrinks (Red Bull and such) in the fridge.
And when I still worked outside the home in an office, I had those days too, but instead of rocking a babe they were spent with lots of internet, chatting with coworkers and coffee!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
ugh.YES! Sometimes the disorganization is so massive I cannot even begin to figurewhere to begin!
Music helps. I blare something upbeat to get me moving. caffienne helps too but is a bad bad bad habit I am trying to break. Also, Imake a to-do list but make it really specific so as I check off each littlething it motivates me to do more.(As in:see, I have already accomplished 11 things!) Like, instead of "Clean kitchen" I literally will put down- "wash dishes" sweep floor" wipe down counters" etc....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,792 Posts
We call them Down Days. DD is a very go-go-go kid, but every few months she just poops out and needs a day or three doing nothing, going nowhere. We stay home and OD on TV and video games and just hang out. DS needs a more constant level of chill time, but we don't indulge in a lot of "down" activities for him, just time at home with unstructured play. I realized, after seeing how necessary this was for them, that I shouldn't feel guilty for needing the same thing myself. Once or twice a month I try to have a day where the kids and I just hang out at home. They play together, I read or hang out on the computer, we read books together, go outside in the yard...I let the to-do list go and try to just relax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epiphany View Post
I could've written your postl. *sigh* I try to not worry so much about those days because then I get depressed and have more of them. So I rest, relax, play a bit with the kids, and then try to be fresh the next day.

My favorite joke:

"A man comes home from work to see garbage on the front steps and two children he doesn't know playing in the toy strewn yard. As he enters the house there are more children watching tv with the radio blaring, and eating in the living room. He steps over piles of toys and clothes and sees food on the kitchen counters, the dog is eating garbage spilled on the floor, and the refridgerator door is open. As he looks around the chaos he can barely recognize his own home. Carefully navigating around toys, a pillow fight in progress, clothes, and food laying on the steps he heads up to his bedroom. In the relative serenety of his room he sees his wife in bed, reading a book. "whats going on?" says the bewildered man. "Well, remember when you asked me what I do at home all day?" she says with a slight smile. "Today I didn't do it."
:
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top