Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided that I NEED this. I'm sick of throwing money away on rice that always ends up soggy and/or crunchy-- I just don't have a "rice" thumb

I want Zojirushi because it seems like everyone with one raves about it, and I think I want the 5.5 cup capacity, but other than that I'm stumped. Which one do you have? Do you like it?

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I have a Zojirushi I bought back from Japan. I love it. Mine has a timer you can set, a keep warm function, a porridge cycle, options for harder or softer rice. Most of the top end ones have a fuzzy logic (mine says 'neuro fuzzy').

I'd recommend having one with a porridge cycle if you want to use it for doing oatmeal or rice pudding.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Check out The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook. Amazon has the first chapter available online and, as luck would have it, it's the part that talks about the pros and cons of different kinds of rice cookers. We have a Zo... the IH model, 10 cups. I cook for a fair number of crowds, and that's barely enough for my purposes. Most people could get by with a smaller one. Many have two: an expensive model for rice and a cheap model for steaming (the fuzzy logic ones don't accomodate steam baskets).

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sizing - keep this in mind. Their 'cups' are actually 3/4 american/british cups. And, when cooking brown rice, my 5.5 c maker says it can only actually do 3 c. Brown rice needs more room or something. So my "5.5 c" cooker can only actually work with 2 1/4 c (regular cups) dry brown rice. If I had known that ahead of time, I would have looked for a "10 c" one.

Aven

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
NoHiddenFees, oh that book is awesome. I made the jook (savory flavored rice porridge) recipe out of that book. Heavenly!! And it's almost turkey time again. I love the little blurb for that recipe - something about American Asians love turkey because they just want the carcass to make jook.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great help! I'll have to look that book up at the library, as Amazon doesn't support my browser.

Hmm, more food for thought then. What size should I get? Family of 4 (3 of whom love rice), eating rice for dinner about every other night. Always looking for ways to add more grains to our diet, but I'm a hopeless cook so that holds me back
I don't often steam things, so I don't need that function. But I have to be able to do brown rice effortlessly, and love the idea of doing other grains.

More research to do!

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I have the 10C Zo for my family of 2.5. It does small batches just as well as larger. Typically I'll make about 2C. cooked, and if we have folks over for dinner, I've made as much as 8-9C at a time.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
I have the 10C Zo for my family of 2.5. It does small batches just as well as larger. Typically I'll make about 2C. cooked, and if we have folks over for dinner, I've made as much as 8-9C at a time.
I have this one also. There is another mama here who helped me pick mine....Lisaincalifornia, I think.

Mine makes perfect rice every time. I love it and it was worth every penny.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.