Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if it is safe to take??? I am only taking 50 mg and not preggo now but was wondering. Anyone taken it while pregnant?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I know Zoloft is one of the safest, along with Paxil. They are considered safe and ok for pregnancy and breastfeeding... In general Zoloft is one of the "lightest" psychotherapeutic drugs as far as side effects, weaning off it, etc. Not a heavy medication and effective for what it is indicated for. Of course, double and triple check with your caregiver, but yes I think Zoloft is fine (I am a childbirth educator and doula, have to know this stuff
)

editing here to say that "safe" does NOT mean without risk. There are risks such as low birth weight and possible withdrawal symptoms in the baby (less of an issue with Zoloft in particular, moreso with Paxil and Prozac). The decision has to be weighed between the harm that severe maternal depression can have on a pregnancy vs. the medication.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ditto the above. I was on it during the end of my last pg for a few weeks (3, I believe). I felt PPD coming on already, though during pg it's called something else. Really I think it was just anxiety. I weaned off and was fine after that.

But I did a lot of research of course, and everything I ran across said it was a-okay during pg and BFing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took Paxil with my last pregnancy and when all of the info came out about Paxil being bad, this time around I am on 50 mg of Zoloft. Zoloft is said to be the safest in pregnancy and in breastfeeding. The doctors weigh the risks and benefits. If you are in a very precarious situation without the medication, it's better to be on it - which I was!
:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts