Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted some squash, of course forgot which ones i planted but it looks like zucchini squash, how do i know when it is ready to pick? My dh says it looks like it's about a foot long.
anyone that could help me please?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
They're ready whenever they look big enough to interest you. Truthfully, baby zucchini are better tasting than the bigger ones. Don't be worried...three inch zucchinis are great. And some people for some reason that makes no sense to me wait till they're really big monsters...bigger is not better in zucchini. Those huge zucchini just develop too much seed cavity...it's not the tasty part at all.

Six to eight inches is probably the size where the stores usually sell them. They charge extra for the premium baby zucchinis...they would be more expensive to have picked in relation to weight.

And in a backyard garden I'd say you seldom have to worry about getting enough zucchinis even if you pick them small. Zucchinis are usually so bountiful gardeners try to force other people, friends and neighbors, to take at least half of it off their hands. There's just so much.

Linda

PS--I forgot one good use for big zucchini is to stuff them. Cut them in half lengthwise, scoop the seeds, fill the trough with goodies.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The really big zucchinis are also great for zucchini bread/muffins. However, I, too, prefer them at about the 6 to 8 inch stage when using as a veggie, whether raw, sauteed, simmered, fried, whatever. When a zucchini is very large, it is called a marrow, like bone marrow. I always thought that was cool, call me a geek!

One of my favorite recipes is:

two or three 6-8 inch zucchinis, sliced 1/8th inch or so thick.
two large cloves garlic, sliced
about two or three Tbs Olive Oil
Chopped herbs-one or more of the following: Basil, oregano, dill, parsley, or mint
about a half cup crumbled feta cheese (or goat's milk cheese, your choice
)

Pour olive oil in saute pan, add sliced garlic, turn on stove to low or medium low heat to slowly cook garlic slices. When garlic slices are nicely toasted but not burnt (browning too much can make them bitter and it will only take a couple minutes to toast them) scoop out garlic slices and put aside on paper towel to drain. Turn heat up to high, add zucchini slices in single layer to garlic oil (may have to do several batches and add a little more olive oil). Saute zucchini on high heat for 1 minute or slightly more on each side. Remove to serving bowl, sprinkle chopped herbs on still warm zucchini and top with crumble feta. YUM! You most likely will not need salt because of the cheese but add pepper to taste.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.